Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Unexpected Saviours

I was stuck in a situation today, the kind of situation that drove me to tears, actual tears.

I stayed back in Clinical Block today to while away the time while waiting for the time to go to Mass. It started pouring, I was nonchalant and continued to nap. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made this year, hopefully, the LAST for this year. Within minutes, the entire clinical block was flooded and by then, it was time for Mass. I headed out, reached the gate and saw that the water was already a foot deep. I decided to head back to the restroom to fold up my pants and took off my shoes. Believe it or not, I dropped my keys in the flood within that 5 metres' distance back to the restroom. Things went downhill from there.

I sat in despair as the flood level increased and increased. I burst into tears, because my car was going to get flooded for sure. I called everyone I could possibly call, some to ask for help and some to seek comfort, as my car sat there, awaiting its fate. I was akin to a mother worried sick for her child, who is out there, knowing that harm is coming her child's way and yet there was nothing she could do to prevent and protect her child. 

An hour later, I sat limp on the sofa, totally given up hope. By then, I could imagine my car being entirely covered by the flood. The water was already chest-high. Yes, the flood in Clinical Block, the place where I have classes next to the hospital, was this bad. In the meantime, a few concerned friends was texting me, offering support. 

Fastforward to now, with me sitting comfortably in my dorm blogging, I feel the aftertaste of fear, worry and anxiety and also an overwhelming feeling of gratefulness. The two guards in Clinical Block have pushed my car to higher grounds, in the heavy rain and flood, without me asking. Where in the world would you come across people as nice as this? Nowhere other than SABAH. They told me that the car light was still working and told me that the engine was probably safe. 

I do not know the fate of my car yet, after all, it was flooded. But their action touched me, deep to the core of my heart. Both of them might have just changed my mind as to where I would apply for housemanship next year. I might just stay back to serve the Sabahans. 

My own roommate of nearly 5 years could refuse to come and drive me home. But 2 mere strangers could go out of their way to help me, without my asking. One of the guards even came to the restroom every now and then to check how I was doing. (He probably saw me crying and decided to help..I persistently asked him about my car whenever he came by). And in the end, I took a ride from a senior, whom I have never spoken to before- another unexpected stranger. Although he was headed to UMS too, but he had to take the trouble to come to Clinical Block, despite knowing that the area would probably be flooded and jammed, to pick us up. And in the middle of that, another friend was offering tips on how to walk in floodwaters (she has had experience with that) and coordinating phone calls for me. She was the one who asked the senior to pick us up. And of course, another of my roommate, being the best friend she was to me, initially, borrowed someone's car to come pick me up but I told her to go back halfway as there was no way, at that time, was it possible for her to arrive without getting stuck in the flood as well.

Usually, in the comforts of my room, I always wish for heavy rain so that I could have a nice sleep. Little did I know that, that wish could have an entirely different impact on other people in other places. It would be presumptious of me to say that I understand now how flood victims feel, but I have learned to be empathetic to their plight. Imagine watching your house, your car, your livestock, your shop and livelihood get washed away and destroyed, and there's nothing you could do about it but watch and pray and yet, God wouldn't answer your prayer by stopping the rain. Imagine that. 

I am sorry, I couldn't help being angry with God because well, I would have gone home if I wasn't planning to go for Mass. Like hello God, I was going to go to church and yet you couldn't bless this misfortune away from me?! But now, I find myself thanking Him for my Unexpected Saviours today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment