Monday, September 26, 2011

I am not impulsive, I just don't want to regret

Accept what you can't change and change what you can't accept.

Take a leap of faith (ala Wendy)

Approach (love) and (cooking) with reckless abandon.

When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.

Read between the lines.

Go for it.

When you want something, you'll rationalize, justify and make up whatever excuses to tell yourself to go ahead and get/ do that something. Likewise, I am only taking in whatever messages that tell me to go ahead...seeing it as 'messages' from God to tell me it's okay to do it. It was just a really teeny-weeny decision, so silly and so small that I couldn't believe it took me so much time to think, mull over, pray over and have palpitations over.

Past experiences have taught me never to do something or NOT do something that I will regret. Regret is really a terrible feeling which can eat you alive. It's not something that wanes easily with time. In fact, sometimes, with time, it gets worse. A friend once, in an attempt to comfort me, told me to 'Forget the past and look towards the future'. Looking back, I think it's quite a crappy advice considering what I just mentioned- that regret can worsen with time, so it will definitely mess up your future and how can you possibly look towards the future when you know it's gonna be messed up? Or that regret makes you unable to forget a past. So the 2 phrases, 'Forget the past' and 'Look towards the future' are just crap when used in the context of regrets. Don't ever say that to anyone who is acutely upset about some sort of regrets. Maybe when the person is feeling better and has learned to be more insightful or positive, then sure...you can use that phrase.

When I feel an impulsive need to do something these days, I will stop and ask myself,

Will I regret it? 
or
 If I don't do it, will I regret it in years to come? 


With that, some may consider what I did today as Impulsive or Silly or Whatever. But I did it in order to prevent a regret. I am also a realistic person, in that I know circumstances might change in such a way that I will regret my action. I really hope not. Anyhow, I am glad I did it today.




No comments:

Post a Comment