Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Too desperate?

A few years back, on a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne, I left my new Sony handphone on the tray at the security checkpoint. I realised only when I was onboard the flight. After a few days of tracing through phone calls and going through a few procedures, I managed to get my handphone back.

Lecture ended at 5.30pm yesterday. I left my pencil case in the lecture hall. The next morning, which is today, when I went to class at 8am, the pencil case was gone! It was there for only less than 24 hours and the lecture hall isn't the average huge lecture hall that you imagined. It is basically just a room, about a quarter of what a typical lecture hall should be. Not to mention, there are only us, my class, that is using that room as it is the semester break now. And the probability of someone using the lecture room was very low as it was after 5 already. So who stole it? My colleagues? The cleaner? Some cheeky people who went to the room for a night rendezvous? I was furious, sad, frustrated and mostly, disappointed. Ironically, I would understand if someone commits burglary or kidnapping because the burglars or kidnappers must be pretty desperate. But is the thief who stole my pencil case VERY desperate to have a pencil case? 

It is not a serious thing, really, losing a pencil case. It's just that I never expected it to happen. I was so sure that I would get it back this morning, that I would see it just as I left it, on the side of my chair. After all, who would want to steal a pencil case?!! Apparently, I was very wrong. One friend has actually seen it before he left yesterday, but it never occurred to him to take it and keep it for me. I am sure he was just as confident as me, thinking that nobody would be interested in stealing a pencil case. 

Sigh...I sure hope the person is a poor chap, who is badly in need of  pens, ruler, pencils, erasers etc. The thought of this somehow helps ease my anger a bit and somewhat replaces it with sympathy for this person. But I still need to stress this. No matter how poor or how desperate you are, 
IT IS NEVER RIGHT TO STEAL. 

PS: I am actually still hoping that I might have made a careless mistake and misplaced it somewhere. Please God, let it be MY mistake this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment