Monday, October 11, 2010

Save the books

Books should be treated with care, love and respect. I mean it's BOOKS we're talking about here!!! Come on... the source of knowledge, creativity, entertainment and the labour of some great people out there, not to mention the sacrifice of hundreds or perhaps, thousands of trees to produce that one book.

I don't know what the university librarians are doing. The books in the medical section are getting from bad to worse each time I go, as in the arrangements of the books. Psychiatry books are in the Anaesthesia section, Physiology book in the O&G section...and the books are all topsy turvy such that they cause the thinner and more fragile books to be crushed by the heavier books. It's a total chaos! It literally hurts me to see those books being 'trampled' on by each other, to see the cover all mashed up. I couldn't help but arrange some of the books as I browse through the shelves and at the same time, trying to save those squashed books and putting back some books to their rightful sections.

Maybe the university should adopt the practice of the overseas universities. Hire students as part-time librarians. I would gladly sign up for that, even as a volunteer. Or just hire more librarians part time or full-time to arrange the books nicely in a 'respectful' manner.

Aih...the poor poor books. I can almost hear their cries "Save me, save me...Ouch, ouch, it's so heavy. Help! Help!"

No comments:

Post a Comment