Monday, December 26, 2011

Christ's Mass

Over my 5 years here, all the Christmas presents that I had received were from non-Christian friends. LOL.. Nadiah gave me one every year. And this year, she bought me lots of goodies. The funny thing is that among the many goodies, she and Chand shared and gave me a photo album this year. And guess what was the Xmas gift I bought her? A photo album too... ZOMG.... I have to say, we were telepathic and GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE. Hehe...

Another friend bought me a Chinese book for beginners. She remembered that I have wanted to learn Chinese for quite some time. It really touched me that she remembered this tiny detail that I told her long time ago.
Christmas gifts-  Photo taken with Nad's polaroid camera 

For as long as I can remember, I have always celebrated Christmas, not on Christmas day, well technically not.  And even then, I was always busier BEFORE Christmas day- what with being in the choir last time, the choir rehearsals, caroling, Christmas parties, all of them were PRIOR to Christmas day. All preparations and pre-Christmas celebrations have always led to the grand and actual celebration which was Christmas Eve Mass. Come 25th December, I would be at home, recuperating from the prior Christmas hustle and bustle. And so, my friend was surprised that I didn't go anywhere yesterday. I didn't find it unnatural.

Did you know that Christmas actually means Christ's Mass, hence the word 'Christmas'? Learned that during the priest's sermon on Christmas Eve Mass.

Christmas, Christmas, Christmas

I just love it. It's my favourite occasion. The very thought of Christmas makes me happy, even though I didn't celebrate it in quite a festive and va-va-voom manner as I should be, considering it being my favourite-est. Ever since I left the choir, I haven't felt that I was spiritually prepared for Christmas. It was easy during the choir days, singing with a bunch of other youths/ friends, feeling the Christmas spirit filling our heart as we lift our voices to commemorate and welcome the birth of Christ. Singing and traveling to different places to bring Christmas cheer and spread the message to others were really fulfilling then. I felt spiritually prepared. It was during the month of December that I felt I had somewhat carried out my responsibility as a Catholic. Our wassailing activities were a form of evangelization. Of course, we weren't that arrogant to think that we were then, until a nun acknowledged and told us that what we were doing was actually considered evangelization. And now, not actively involved in any church activities, at times, I feel lost and useless as a Catholic.I should be doing something. And by myself, it takes a lot more effort if I need to grow spiritually. So now, I am actually at a stagnant phase of my spiritual life. I will and MUST do something about this.

There wasn't a Christmas since I left the choir that didn't make me miss the SHY Choir days- when I listen to other choirs sing, even listening to the church choir here during Sunday Mass every week. And there wasn't a moment during these times that didn't remind of the man who made it all possible for us, the youths of St. Henry's Church. Merry Christmas and as usual, I wish you were around. But I'm sure you are having an even more epic Christmas in where you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment