Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A tug on the kite string

I was praying very desperately that day when I was on my way to get my results. As usual, I apologized to God for not praying harder before that. Funny how I didn't apologize for not studying harder. When I arrived at the office, I tried to empty my emotions tank and numb myself so that I wouldn't feel the disappointment should my results turn out to be disappointing. Then I tried to rationalize (yes, even before I got my results) to ease the impending impact on my emotions. Then I tried to make myself nonchalant and forced myself not to care. See, how protective I am of my emotional health?

Anyway, here's a happy ending to my blog. My results could not have been better. Not perfect, but it's what I prayed for. THANK YOU GOD FOR THE 25TH TIME! 

My mum called me a few minutes earlier to tell me a good news and how her prayer has been answered. She, of course, was also proclaiming God's awesomeness. For as long as I can remember, my mum would lay hands and pray for me before every of my tests and exams. When I left home, I continue to ask her to remember me in her prayers. I would text her on the morning of my exams to ask her to pray for me. Sometimes, she would even fast for me. So, there's no doubt at all that my results are largely possible due to my mum's prayers. Funny again, that I never thought to attribute them to my efforts and hardwork. I don't know why but maybe because I think exams are governed by so many external factors that are beyond my control. For instance, my health on that day, my mood, concentration, internal peace/ nervousness, the table and chair which I use, my wisdom in putting down the answers, the decisions which I make for the MCQs paper, the lecturers which mark my paper or my viva or clinical cases etc etc. These factors, although not as important as the knowledge I must have in my head during exams, have a direct and significant influence on the outcome of my exams.

The aunties in my mum's prayer group were praising her for always saying the most beautiful prayer for me. I know that, MUM because I feel and experience your prayers for me constantly, everyday through God's blessings. Those blessings couldn't have come from my prayers, so mediocre, if said next to yours. So if you ask me if prayers work, I would say YES, MOST DEFINITELY, but more so, my mum's over mine.

I really like what Martin Jalleh, a renowned Catholic full-time speaker, once told us during a youth camp. He said God's presence is like a kite. When your kite has flown so high that you can't see it, how do you know if it's still there? You pull on the string gently and when you feel a tug, that's when you know your kite is still there. You can't see it but you feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment