Saturday, January 14, 2012

God kept me safe


You never really know how close you are to death until after you have escaped it or until, you are well, dead. I never felt it while I was driving today, although I was chanting prayers throughout the journey to and fro Kudat today. I wasn't feeling very confident of subjecting my car to the 3-hour drive on the unexpected roads and traffic of the Sabah outskirts since the flood incident. My car is just never the same again and I have lost confidence and a sense of security in it. It has, after all, been through a helluva flood and damage.

But two of my best friends came and I really wanted to bring them around Kudat to experience the culture and lifestyle of the local people there. During the journey there, my car just went all weird (don't know the technical term for it). It started to jerk and lose power all of a sudden, as if the battery had suddenly gone dead. Initially, I thought it was because of the car battery as the batt light always came on during these episodes of car 'fits'. Not only that, the scary thing was, when that happened, my brake became all weird as well, it kinda lost its grip and I thought then and there that my time must be up. The steering wheel would became quite rigid as well. I had no idea when these fits would occur. Just when I thought all was well and started accelerating, it would occur again. To make matters worse, on my way back, I was still 2 hours away from KK when the sky turned dark. I was driving my fitful car in the dark on dangerous, uneven, landslide-prone roads.  

Thinking about it now gives me the chills. I was that close to death. I am exaggerating, you say. Maybe, maybe not. There were so many times when I could have met with an accident. But I didn’t. I arrived at Kudat and then back in KK safely. This may not be those hair-raising testimonies that you hear but it is for me. God kept us (my friends and I) safe. He kept us in that bubble of protection where no harm could come our way.

I am also incredibly regretful and sorry to have put my friends in danger-  2 of my oldest friends, Lynn and Bee and the 2 Caucasian backpackers, whom I gave a lift to, as well as my best buddies here, Chand and Nad. Chand and Nad purposely waited for me for 2 hours to accompany me on the drive back when they could have gone back in the SPU bus. If anything were to happen to anyone of them, it would be nobody's fault but mine. *shudder* Let's hope I won't get nightmares tonight.

After consulting a few people, they all thought that the problem was probably due to some fuse or circuit problem. Sigh... I love my car but I don't feel good driving it now...don't feel safe, secure and confident driving it...I don't speak cars but I know the flood must have damaged it badly. It's like when a person has epilepsy. You don't know when the fits are going to occur. There may be precipitating factors or some premonition before a fit in epilepsy but there may also be none. The fits can occur anytime, anywhere. I feel like that with my car. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment