Monday, April 11, 2011

Norwegian Wood

I never thought of it this way. I used to think, am still thinking actually, how nice if I could be those people who can excel at everything easily. Those people who only take half the time I need to study the same amount of things and remember them perfectly. The fast learners who can master something easily even though they start out later than the rest.

Until I came across this part in a book which explained that for these people, who have the talent to do things well without any effort, who have people telling them how great they are from an early age, who have never been hammered by a teacher, they lose out on this crucial element- Character building. A few people came to mind, yes those outstanding people whom I know and previously just thought as weird... I always think there's something off about these particular people. Okay, I may be sounding like a sour grape but seriously, they are. It's very difficult to pinpoint exactly but they are just different from the average you and me. Now I know why. But it probably has a multifactorial aetiology. And probably, they think I'm off too.

Anyway, I met up with my best guy friend 2 days ago. We happened to be reading the same book "Norwegian Wood". And that's why he's my best guy friend..haha...Nah, it's just a coincidence.  He is going through the roughest patch of his life, with one bad thing after another. I hope this will be the roughest one and no more to come. He looks so beaten and weathered but it's obvious he's fighting his way through it. I'm so worried that he'll be sinking into depression. It's normal now, considering he's in a grieving process. Initially, I was excited that we were reading the same book and we talked about it. But then, I thought it's really a bad idea that he's reading that book as it's really a very depressing book with lots of suicides in it. Shit..I should discourage him from reading it further. It's time like this that I wish I have some superpower so that I can make things better for the people suffering around me. But all I can do is pray. Or maybe, that's all it takes,  because I may not have superpower but God has.

I am not as enthusiastic to go for elective now. I just want to laze at home and spend time with my mum, although my mum will be coming along. But she'll only be coming for 2 weeks! How I regret listening to her and booking only 2 weeks for her. Should have booked one whole month for her! :(

2 comments:

  1. now that you've mentioned, yes it's so true. character building. they can have the most screwed up character and habits, yet they just manage to get things through

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but now the world is fair after all cuz they may get through everything or be a brainiac, but like u said, their character is screwed.

    ReplyDelete