Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thais love dogs

There are so many things on my mind. So despite the ‘University of Mollusc’ connection (as Ding puts it), I’m still determined to get connected to my blog. I simply need to unload before I sleep.

Last week, this time, I had just arrived in Bangkok. Ah…it somehow feels so long ago already. I’m so afraid that those wonderful memories will elude me. I had finally fulfilled my childhood dream of joining a students’ exchange programme. Although, this was not exactly the type of students’ exchange programme that I have envisioned (none of the AFS*-seriousness in it), I had never had a moment of unpleasantness throughout my stay in Bangkok. I was happy, excited, high-spirited ALL the time. It was more like a vacation than an academic programme. Not that I’m complaining. Like I said, there’s nothing to complain about. Seriously. Nada.

There are a few things I like about Bangkok, besides the obvious stated in any Thai tourism ad. I like that it is a very dog-friendly place. Stray dogs are everywhere, except that they don’t exhibit the typical signs of stray dogs. The dogs there are clean, well-fed and people-friendly. I was so amazed when Priz managed to get a stray dog to ‘shake hands’ with her. It was such a heartwarming scene. I conclude therefore, that Thai people love dogs. And I love people, who love dogs because well, I’m a dog-lover myself.

I like that Thais are very polite, generally, at least. It reminds me a lot about Sabahans. Somehow, they are tolerant, mild-mannered and soft-spoken. Even the language that they speak sounds so easy- on- the- ears (I really don’t know how else to describe it. But if you compare Thai language to say, Russian, then you’ll understand what I mean.)

I like that Thai guys are very gentlemanly. I notice they really treat a lady like a lady. They practise all the gentlemanly gestures which I always hope to see in Malaysian guys. They make sure your glass and plate are filled before they attempt to fill their own, they hold the door for you, they insisted on carrying their girlfriend’s shopping bags, they silently watch out for the girls when walking through a more rowdy crowd (you could see it in their body language or rather, you could feel the sense of security when walking with them). One incident, which struck me the most, was when a Thai guy quizzically asked my Malaysian guy friend, who was of course, walking with empty hands, why I was pushing the luggage trolley filled with bags myself. What a laugh! And of course, what an ‘Awww…’ moment for us, girls.

I like also that Thais are extremely patriotic and religious. Every crook and corner of a building or streets has an altar of Buddha or monks; in the universities, in the hospital, on the streets, in shopping malls....everywhere. And they love their king a lot. I feel kinda ashamed. But hey, you can’t blame me. I can’t possible FORCE myself to love my king right? Love cannot be forced, yo!

Bangkok is a metropolitan city with about 12.5 million people. It is no wonder the people are very civilized. Personally, another factor I usually use to measure how civilized or developed a city is, is by looking at their toilets.
Seat toilets + toilet paper in every cubicle = developed nation.
Plus every restaurant and stalls provide you with tissue. Now, this is what I call developed and civilized and cultured.

*AFS= American Field Progamme. I was once selected for an interview for a students' exchange programme organized by AFS. It was the real stuff. A year in USA or Spain or Japan etc..If you are selected to go, you are really like an ambassador for your country. You have to not only be well-versed in all the cultures and traditions of your country, you have to know how to do it as well, meaning you have to know how to dance that traditional dance, cook that traditional dish and of course, you have to be an all-rounder, a good public speaker and all in all, an outstanding person. Apparently, I was not at that time. But the interview was quite an experience, though.

2 comments:

  1. Eunice dear, how did you apply for this student exchange thing? I wanna go too! Bet you had a fun time there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy. have you heard of AMSA= Asian Medical Students' Association? I'm not sure if your uni has this society. Several med schools have this society. Anyway, this society has many activities annually, among which are conferences and students' exchange programme. There are a few conferences and an exchange programme each year and they are held in different countries every year. Maybe you can be the pioneer and set up one in your uni..:)

    ReplyDelete